Luo Jiner (Smily)
ENG 1430
Dr. J. Marquardt
Response to Shrek: Parody or Form of Retaliation?
Jeffery Katzenberg once employed by Disney. But he felt that he was not appreciated in Disney. He left Disney and teamed up with Steven Spielberg and David Geffen to form he DreamWorks. It led to a competitive race for success between Disney and DreamWorks. In 2000, Shrek was produced. A definite sense of tension between DreamWorks and Disney exists throughout the film.
When I was young, I just regard Shrek as a common comic. Now I knew that why there are many traditional fairy tale roles in Shrek. Jeffery Katzenberg tried to create the Shrek to satire the Disney. In Shrek, Lord Farquaads kingdom, Duloc, shows one looks very similar with Disneyland. People dressed up as Lord Farquaad, (like Disneyland’s characters), greet Shrek and Donkey when they first arrive at the kingdom.
I think Shrek is not only a parody of Disney movies but also a retaliation for Disney. Katzenberg was so smart because he was making fun of Disney and avoid any legal battles with Disney. This kind of development actually is a win-win situation. Eisner and Katzenberg's argument made both company to develop. As an audience, I am looking forward to watch much more great movie.
没有评论:
发表评论